Burn Injury Lawyer in Gainesville, Florida
Burn injuries are frequently the most painful of all injuries a person may sustain and result in the most extensive scarring or disfigurement.
A burn victim may need plastic surgery, skin grafting, and numerous other treatments or surgeries to rebuild the skin and tissue damage. In some cases, burns are so severe that they will damage the underlying muscle, resulting in loss of muscle function and the need for physical therapy to restore control and strength. A burn may result from a fire, exposure to toxins, electricity, hot water, or an explosion.
Have you or someone you loved suffered a burn injury? At Steven A. Bagen & Associates, our personal injury lawyers represent clients throughout Gainesville and the surrounding areas in Florida in the face of minor and severe burn injuries.
When intentional misconduct causes these injuries, negligence, or some form of wrongdoing on the part of another person, a Gainesville burn injury lawyer at our firm can help you seek financial compensation for the damages you have suffered: physically, emotionally, and financially.
We handle claims involving car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, exposure to toxins and chemicals, fires, electrocution accidents, defective products, and much more. Regardless of the particular circumstances of your case, a lawyer at our firm can meet with you and determine exactly how we can assist you.
Table of contents
- Bagen Law Can Help Gainesville Burn Injury Victims
- Providing Legal Representation to Burn Victims in Gainesville and Surrounding Areas
- Burn Injury Compensation
- We Know What Causes Burn Injuries
- We Can Assist You in Filing a Claim for Burn Injuries
- The Different Types of Burns
- Gainesville Burn Accident Liability
- Obtaining Compensation for Burn Injuries
- After Suffering a Burn Injury in Florida, Can I File a Lawsuit?
- After a Florida Burn Injury, What Kind of Treatment Can I Expect?
- Free Consultation With Our Burn Injury Attorneys
Bagen Law Can Help Gainesville Burn Injury Victims
We offer our clients results-driven legal services in Gainesville. Bagen Law has been helping Florida residents suffering burn injuries for more than 30 years.
Our firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for injured clients. We are successful in more than 99 percent of our cases. The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys has recognized our commitment to client satisfaction.
Our fee is not guaranteed – we do not get paid until you do. The combined experience of our firm exceeds 100 years.
Super Lawyers have selected us to show on their Super Lawyers List, which they give to fewer than 5 percent of attorneys in the country. The American Trial Lawyers Association has also recognized our firm as a Top 100 Personal Injury Firm.
Our legal experts can assist you with your case.
Providing Legal Representation to Burn Victims in Gainesville and Surrounding Areas
A burn injury can be incredibly painful and traumatic. Most victims leave behind permanent scars from the injuries, which require costly and long-term treatment.
In addition to cases involving burn injuries caused by propane gas explosions, exploding gas tanks, and water heater fires, we have also handled wounds caused by electrical sources at home and on construction sites.
Our Gainesville burn injury attorneys can assist you if a loved one has suffered severe burns as a result of someone else’s negligence. We will explain your rights and options to you, and if you have a case, we will fight for maximum compensation. Our Gainesville burn injury attorneys can help you manage the costs of burn injuries, which may be significant.
Burn Injury Compensation
According to the American Burn Association, approximately 450,000 patients receive hospital and emergency room treatment for burns each year. According to CDC statistics, burns and fires are the third-leading cause of death in the home. A burn injury can result from a truck accident, a car accident, a chemical burn, an electrical burn, a defective product, or a construction accident.
Obtaining compensation for severe burns requires proving that another person’s negligence caused your injuries. To establish negligence, you must prove that another person failed to act with the degree of care they should have used, thus causing the plaintiff foreseeable harm.
People who suffer from burns are often tragically denied the chance to return to normal life. Burn victims often suffer from scarring, which can negatively affect their self-esteem and careers.
Compensation may help pay for the costs associated with the recovery process, although no amount of money can fix the damage caused by a burn injury. You may recover your medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, pain and suffering, loss of income, scarring and disfigurement, property damage, and other accident-related costs.
You should hire a lawyer who has experience handling burn injury cases. Hire an experienced attorney with a track record of obtaining significant results in individual cases. We have obtained life-changing recoveries for numerous clients through the efforts of our lawyers.
Often, people assume burn injuries aren’t serious, but they are. People who suffer serious burns and their families will suffer physical, psychological, and financial damages. We are here to assist you with your claim if you suffered a burn injury during an accident.
Our firm understands the challenges you face after suffering such a catastrophic injury. At this time, we can provide you with steadfast legal representation that will help you recover the appropriate compensation to cover your injury costs.
We Know What Causes Burn Injuries
Serious accidents often cause burn injuries. Accident victims can suffer very serious burn injuries when their vehicle catches fire or a gas tank explodes during a traffic accident. Hazardous conditions on a property, such as faulty wiring, can also lead to a devastating fire. Burns can also occur at daycares or child care centers due to negligence.
Whatever the cause of your injury, you will have to undergo lengthy and expensive invasive procedures to recover. Rehab, surgeries, and skin grafts can take several months or even years. You may never fully recover from a burn injury. Due to the permanent damage burns can cause to nerves and tissues in the body, amputations and disfigurement are not uncommon.
We Can Assist You in Filing a Claim for Burn Injuries
If you suffered an injury because of the negligent actions of another person, you may recover financial compensation. Another party’s negligence must have caused the accident that resulted in your injury. You must prove that another person was negligent and liable for damages.
Negligence is the failure to exercise reasonable care. It is necessary to prove that someone else owed you a duty of care and that they breached that duty, resulting in an injury accident.
It is negligence per se if the act of carelessness violates the law. In other words, you do not need to prove negligence, only that the defendant caused the accident and you suffered serious burns. When a drunk driver causes a crash resulting in a burn, the drunk driver can be held responsible for negligence per se. In this case, since negligence does not have to be proven to recover damages for your injury, you can recover more damages.
The Different Types of Burns
A burn injury can range in severity from a minor cut to a life-threatening wound.
A first-degree burn is usually red and painful but only affects the top layer of the skin.
Burns of the second degree cause blisters, while burns of the third degree cause white or blackened skin.
Despite this, even first- or second-degree burns can lead to serious infections. It is crucial to seek medical attention immediately after a serious burn. Our Gainesville burn injury lawyers can assist you in pursuing compensation for your medical expenses once medical professionals have treated your injuries.
Gainesville Burn Accident Liability
The circumstances of a burn accident will determine liability. If a victim sustained a burn during a car accident, the driver likely will be found liable for the victim’s injuries by Florida courts.
Any person injured by another person or company should speak to a burn injury lawyer in their area about their legal rights. Our experienced attorneys can help gather evidence of liability and seek compensation from the at-fault party.
Obtaining Compensation for Burn Injuries
There can be huge medical bills associated with burn injuries, as well as time away from work.
In addition to being physically debilitating, these injuries are also financially devastating.
Victims who suffer injuries caused by another person can sue for damages through a civil claim.
You can seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative care
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
Civil damages awards can provide some relief to families struggling to cover medical expenses and other accident-related expenses, even though they cannot replace the trauma of a severe injury.
After Suffering a Burn Injury in Florida, Can I File a Lawsuit?
In Florida burn injury cases, you must prove liability. The other party must have owed you responsibility, and the defendant must have breached that responsibility and the defendant’s actions or inaction brought you harm.
Many burn injury victims are unaware that another party may be responsible for their condition. Product liability and premises liability often fall under this category.
What are the signs that you have a burn injury case?
Examples might include:
- Car accidents. Hundreds of thousands of motor vehicle accidents are reported by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department every year. A fire or contact with a hot surface can result in burns during an accident. The law allows you to seek damages for your injuries if the other driver was at least partially at fault for the accident.
- Workplace accidents: The most at-risk demographics for workplace burn injuries are kitchen staff and construction workers. A hot surface, a shorted outlet, or even hot coffee can cause burns. Most of the time, if an employee suffers an injury on the job, the employer is responsible for the financial consequences. However, in this case, you won’t sue your employer. You should file worker’s compensation instead.
- Product liability: Has your oven shorted out? Have your child’s new toys exploded? It is the responsibility of manufacturers to ensure that their products are safe for use. Manufacturers are responsible for any damages caused by defects or design flaws.
- Premises liability: There are many types of accidents that fall under premises liability. Are you surprised by the temperature of the water coming out of your faucet? Your landlord may have failed to address a plumbing issue. Did a fire occur? A building’s code compliance and fire systems’ upkeep are two of the first things our attorneys will check.
After a Florida Burn Injury, What Kind of Treatment Can I Expect?
Depending on the severity and location of your burn, you will need different types of treatment.
Your treatment will be more invasive and prolonged the more serious your injury is.
Treatment options for burns include:
- Creams and ointments: If you do not need inpatient treatment, your doctor may send you home with a prescription for at-home treatment.
- IV fluids: After severe burns, victims may need intravenous fluids. Dehydration and organ failure can result from burn shock. To ensure there are no complications, a doctor must monitor this treatment.
- Skin grafts: To repair damaged skin, doctors use skin grafts. Occasionally, the doctor will use donor skin, but most often the patient’s own skin is most effective.
- Rehabilitative services: In addition to being physically painful, burns can also be psychologically painful. It is possible to reduce recovery time and increase results through therapy, including occupational therapy and mental health counseling.
- Plastic surgery: Appearance and function may improve through reconstructive surgery. Doctors can treat scars that limit a patient’s mobility with surgery. In cases of facial burns that prevent patients from seeing, breathing, or speaking, plastic surgery can also help.
Free Consultation With Our Burn Injury Attorneys
Involve an attorney early on after a burn injury or accident. You may recover enough financial compensation for your burn injuries to pay for medical care, lost income, and future expenses. The stakes are high, as burn injuries can potentially affect you for the rest of your life.
“My experience was beyond satisfactory, from the first call with Mr. Bagen for consultation, to working with Megan to achieve the end goal. I definitely want to thank them for their hard work and dedication to my case along with the warm and friendly care. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and no matter the question I had Megan always helped. I would highly recommend.
Once again I can’t thank you guys enough!” – Teresa S.
Read more of our Google Reviews!